Happy Birthday, Ku’damm!
A fascinating and legendary place, a boulevard of the stars, a place for nightlife, the site of political protest and political statements, a shopping paradise, a tourist attraction, a place where artists, intellectuals and creative people live and work, and one of the most renowned and popular boulevards in the world – the Kurfürstendamm.
On 5 May, the Kurfürstendamm 125th anniversary celebrations have started. Until the end of October, there will be a large number of events to mark the anniversary, including exhibitions, guided tours, parties and ceremonies.
Mentioned for the first time in 1540, in 1875 Otto von Bismarck ordered an expansion of the street to a width of 53 metres, using the Champs-Élysées as a model. On 5 May 1886 – eleven years later – the first steam-powered tram trundled along the newly-inaugurated Kurfürstendamm and the famous Berlin boulevard was born.
A large number of events will mark the anniversary and make the Ku’damm shine in new splendour. The festivities began on 5 May with the opening of the outdoor exhibition at Breitscheidplatz and the exhibition 125 Years – 125 Stories, held in the glass display cases that traditionally line the boulevard. The illumination of the Ku’damm from 19 – 23 October in cooperation with the Festival of Lights will provide a glamorous finale.
With its chequered history, the Ku’damm is also a symbol of the constant change and regeneration of the capital Berlin. For several years, the Ku’damm has been the site of new creative impulses and is building on its former glory. Many new construction and restoration projects testify to this development: Zoofenster, Bikini-Haus, Zoo Palast, Ku’damm Karrée, Haus Cumberland and Kurfürstendamm 195 are examples of the transformation of this renowned boulevard into a modern urban avenue.
Please visit our Events page for more information on guided tours in English and events that are part of 125 years of Ku'damm.
The coordination of the festivities was transferred to Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH in September 2010. Project partners include the Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf district, Regionalmanagement City-West and AG City.